Q: What is meant by ‘well being’ of an individual?
First, let us try to analyse what is ‘being’? Being refers to the state of manifestation. The manifestation has taken place at several stages/planes i.e. from subtlest level (spirit) to grossest level (matter). The stages of manifestation of a human being can be broadly classified as physical, mental, spiritual and also social because man is a unit of society.
- Physical being : It constitutes body parts and organs internal and external like five senses, legs, hand, head, heart, liver, lungs, intestine etc. When all of these function normally, man is said to be physically fit.
- Mental being: It constitutes sound and healthy mind.
- Social being: It constitutes man being an active unit of the civilised society.
- Spiritual being: It constitutes ‘soul’ or ‘spirit’ which is the unseen part.
Now let us look at the qualified aspect of ‘being’ i.e. ‘well-being’ and when does the ‘being’ become ‘well-being’ in the above classified aspects.
- Physical ‘well-being’: When the body parts internal and external (as it is mentioned earlier), cells, atoms and sub-atoms attains purity; it is said as physical well-being.
- Mental ‘well-being’: It is said as Mental well-being:
- When mind is free from moha (attachment), madha (pride), matsara (jealousy) , lobha (greed). And when the Kama (passion) and Krodha (anger) which are God-given is regulated.
- When mind transcends from individual to universal.
- When mind is regulated, moderated and balanced.
- When mind becomes pure, simple, subtle and still
Mind functions in several layers of consciousness varying from waking consciousness (grosser) to sub-consciousness (subtle) to super- consciousness (subtler). Unfolding of the layers of consciousness from grosser to subtler brings one nearer to Reality or nearer to well-being.
- Social ‘well-being’: A man living in the society has to be ‘Samadarshi’ and ‘Samavarti’. This is social well-being that leads to social harmony. ‘Samadarshi’ means considering everyone same or equal. No discrimination in the name of caste, creed, occupation etc. ‘Samavartin’ means treating every member of society as our own giving everybody his/her rightful due.
- Spiritual ‘well being’: Soul possesses consciousness as a result of God’s will to effect creation. Hence it became aware of it’s individual existence. Now if this awareness is lost by the help and support of capable Master/Guru then the individual soul merges in ‘ONE Existence’. This state of Being is said as spiritual well-being.
Our Malik-e- Kul demonstrated to us, having the physical life one could go even beyond ‘Consciousness’ itself. So here the ‘well-being’ gets transformed into ‘Ultimate Being’ (Zaat) which is the Real Goal of human life.
Well being of an individual, when the person is utilizing his karmendriyas in a proper way – only then we can say it can be achieved and only if we practice as prescribed by the Master.
Heading towards -ABSOLUTE FREEDOM! Getting freed from all our internal complexities and ego e.g. – of anger(krodha), Selfishness(lobha) , maya(illusions), moha, hatredness(matsara), and constant development of our spirit from existence to non-existent Absolute … can be called as well being of an individual.
Human being is = physical body + Mind . Now well being of individual deals with both at physical health as well as mental health. Arishadwargs of mind are called as EGO or Kam , krodha , moha , mada ,matsara , ahankara. First two are god given and next four are man made. Moderation of these while leading life in society is called well being of an individual ofcourse good health
Well being of an individual can only be ,when ,that person, under the Capable Guidance and Training and Help makes his individuality completely extinct but for retaining his physical frame. This is the state which our Beloved Malik- e – Kul has called as Living dead, Total insignificant, Total Ignorant, Nacheez etc.
Good health and less disturbed mind are in my view basic attributes for well being of a human